Thursday, March 15, 2012

Fiesta!!!


We had a fiesta at Le Casa de Fast Food Free last night! It was a lot of fun and the food was delicious. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I did a fabulous job for my first all Mexican meal. It turned out pretty good! Everything was made from scratch! Our menu was:
  • Carne Asada
  • Mexican Rice
  • Tortillas
  • Refried Beans
Yes, I said made from scratch! All of it! By me!!!! Yep! You heard right!  And the whole dinner was 600 calories!!!! Woo-hoo! Delicious, healthy and filling!!! I bet you want the recipes. Well, don't you?! I thought so! 

Carne Asada (enough for 8 servings)

Ingredients
  • 2lbs Carne Asada steaks
  • 1/2 TBS pepper
  • 1 lime
  • 1/3 cup shredded Co-Jack or Montery Jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup prepared salsa
Directions
Slice steaks into 1" strips. Combine meat, lime juice and pepper in a bowl. Cook strips on the griddle (or in a pan) on med-hi for about 10 minutes turning so it doesn't burn.Add to warm tortillas and enjoy.


Refried Beans

Ingredients
  • 4 cups of dry pinto beans
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (optional-I didn't use as I'm the only one in our house that eats them.)
  • 4 Tbsp (or more to taste) olive oil (you can use lard or bacon fat)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • Salt to taste
  • 1 cup shredded cheese
Directions 
  •  Rinse the beans in water and remove any small stones, pieces of dirt, or bad beans.
  • Cook the beans in water.  Put beans into a pot and cover beans with at least 3 inches of water. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer, covered, for about 2 1/2-3 hours. The cooking time will vary depending on the batch of beans you have. The beans are done when they are soft and the skin is just beginning to break open.
  • Strain the beans from the cooking water.
  • Add the onions and oil to the empty bean pan on medium high heat. Cook onions until translucent. (Note the onions are optional, you can skip them if you want.) Add the strained beans and about a 1/2 cup of water to the pan. Using a potato masher, mash the beans in the pan, while you are cooking them. Add more water if necessary to keep the fried beans from getting too dried out. Add salt to taste. Add cheese. Serve and enjoy.

Mexican Rice
 
Ingredients
  • 2 cups long grain dry rice
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 cans stewed tomatoes
  • 3 cups water
Directions
  •  In a medium sauce pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add dry rice and saute for about 5 minutes or until rice becomes a golden brown color. (I totally skipped this step...on accident...my rice was mushy...but still good)
  •  Add water and stewed tomatoes and bring to a boil.
  • Turn heat to low and cover and let it simmer 20-25 minutes...do not stir!!!! 
  • Fluff with a fork and serve and enjoy!
 Tortillas

I only have pictures to share, because I don't measure the ingredients. I just go by feel and sight-the way my Mother-in-law taught me. 


Everyone ate their dinner and all that is left are the 2 dishes I made for our mom's. Even though I skipped a step in the rice it was still delicious and was eaten and my beans were lumpy but those are gone too! Overall it was a successful first Fiesta! Now it's your turn to go and cook your own!

Blessings
 Becky

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...